Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Entry #8 Mother to Son

This "Mother To Son" poem by Langston Hughes is very confusing to me but re-reading it i get the meaning and what i think it means.  But to me I think this poem is about a boy and his mother, and how his mom is talking about life or how she lived life.  The one thing that is very thought provoking was this line in the poem "Life for me ain't been no crystal stair" this line in the poem to me means that life for the mother hasn't been that easy.  The line after that says "it has its tacks and splinters" in this line Langston Hughes is probably talking about how life has its problems and its downs and times. 

Mother To Son is such a remarkable poem because it takes about life all together and we just have to get through it.  A crystal staircase in this poem seems to be a flawless world or a untainted world.  This poem reminds me of my grandma because my grandma had to raise four children by herself my grandpa had died earlier before i got to even know him.  What I'm really trying to say is that this poem is really about life and to never ever really give up in life like these lines in the poem 
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
This to me means to don't turn back and keep trying and succeeding whatever you do.  This poem to me is a wonderful poem for having to do with life and how it really is out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment